Saturday, November 24, 2007

Dinner for One

It was dinner for one tonight. Joe and Jamie went to a friend's birthday party, but I begged off, wanting to spend some time just relaxing at home. Because it was just me, I got to make something that isn't a big hit with anyone else in our house...squash soup. This particular version of the recipe, with apples, yoghurt, onions, spices, etc., is especially tasty. I'll freeze the leftovers to take to work for lunches.

Cooking for one is a rare occurance for me. I think doing it on a regular basis would be a challenge. I'm afraid I'd fall into the habit of not going much beyond a sandwich or omelet. My friend Lucca, on the other hand, cooks for herself the way she would were she having dinner guests. It's always delicious, healthy and imaginative. Over the years, she's taught me much of what I know about cooking, and every time I see her, I learn more. I'm sure she must have been a gifted chef in a previous life!

No comments: