Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Hungry Fox; A Hungry Community

This morning as I was walking to the bus stop, I was joined by a friend. A fox scampered along beside me, clearly looking for me to supply breakfast. It was a beautiful animal with an animated face that showed curiosity, playfulness, caution and wistfulness. It stayed with me until the bus came, at which point it flattened its ears, obviously annoyed by the interruption.

There aren't too many places left in the world where one could have such an encounter. It's given a miraculous feel to my day.
~~~~~
I attended a community potluck dinner last night as part of Poverty and Homelessness Action Week. I was there to accept an award on behalf of the company I work for, which has pledged money and a van to try to get a food bank opened in the Yukon. A lot of street people were at the dinner, and their situation was brought home to me when I saw how much food they piled on their plates. Clearly for some, it was their first meal of the day, or perhaps their first meal in more than a day.

After dinner, I accepted the award. Later, the entire room stood up and took a pledge to do whatever we could to eliminate poverty in our community. Then, I got up, got into my 'purchased new' car, and drove to my warm home, passing on the way those street people who were going God knows where. I felt like such a hypocrite.

No comments: