Friday, September 14, 2007

Last of the Spuds

It was with a fair amount of regret that I dug up my last few hills of potatoes yesterday. They are now sitting in a bucket in the corner of my kitchen, waiting to be used up over the next few meals.

Luckily, we have lots of our other veggies left: with the mild September we are having, even our lettuce is still frost free and tasty. With caribou meat and wild berries in the freezer, and a garden out our back door, it's amazing how much less we're spending on groceries these days.

After dance class last night I spent some time rewarding my hard working potato patch with a big feed of of compost and horse manure, so it'll be ready to till and plant in the spring. Being an old farm girl, I'm already dreaming of next year's crops.

No comments: