Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Final Installment from the Dempster

Dirt road all the way

Dempster moss: the plants were just starting to turn colour when we were there....another two weeks and the whole place will be lit up with various shades of red, orange and yellow. Summer may be short in the North, but it certianly takes its leave in a blaze of glory!

Sharing lunch with a raven

Dinner's on: certainly not gourmet food but filling nonetheless. Joe took care of buying and packing all the food and camping supplies (all I had to do was pack my clothes) so you're not going to hear me complaining about the choice of menus. But Joe and I both commented on how different he and I prepare for such things: if it were me, I would have planned out each meal, and divided measured amounts of ingredients into labelled zip lock bags. Joe's approach is to run to the grocery store, buy what looks good, and hope for the best. I think that each method works just fine in the end.

A view taken from inside our tent in the middle of the night. I don't have a watch, so I can't tell you what time it was, but I know it was late. Welcome to the Land of the Midnight Sun.

Just one final word about the Dempster: there are a few places I've been in this world that I would consider life changing. The Buddist, Hindu and Jain caves at Ajanta and Ellora, India are one. Perhaps the Ring of Brodhar in the Orkneys is another. But the Dempster is certainly high on my list. If anyone is reading this and is considering a trip to the Yukon, I would say the Dempster Highway is the one place you don't want to miss. Trust me on this...it will blow your mind and alter the very cells of your being.

No comments: