Sunday, June 29, 2008

Brrrrrr

It's a cold day...a really cold day....a make a fire in the wood stove kind of day. It's the kind of day that I should be replacing the sealer around my bathtub. But instead, I'm cooking. First up, a batch of protein bars. These are pretty tasty so I'm posting the recipe in case you're interested.

1/2 cup flour of your choice (I use multi-grain or whole wheat)
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup oat bran
1/2 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1 t. sea salt (sea salt has many more minerals than table salt)
1 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/2 cup honey
1 cup dark chocolate pieces (chocolate chips work in a pinch but really good quality chocolate really does make a difference)
About 1 cup or so of plain yoghurt (enough that it holds everything together when you mix it up but not too much that is is really wet)
Sometimes I also add a couple of dollups of almond butter or peanut butter
1/4 cup oil of your choice (I use sunflower)
2 t. olive oil
1 t. vanilla
*Note: this recipe also calls for a cup of whey or soy protein powder but I never have it in the house. I think if you added it you would need to also add a bit more yoghurt so it wouldn't be too dry.

Mix altogether, put in greased 9 x 13 inch pan, and bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour (or a little less depending on how hot your oven gets). Cut into squares and munch out.

No comments: