Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Birds and the Bees

A woman of my word, I have not mentioned one thing about my garden for the last week. But seven days have passed and I am now in the clear.

These birds, and close to two dozen more of their kind, have been hanging about our newly acquired feeders recently. And they've been living high off the hog. I not only offer them a choice of menu (two different kinds of seeds and nuts), but I give them fresh filtered water every day and shoo away any squirrels that come around to steal their food. Yet how have these ungrateful feathered ones re-paid me? By chowing down on my swiss chard until there's almost nothing left of it! The nerve!!
The bees, however, are welcome in my garden any time. Their food of choice seems to be my chive blossoms. There are five bees on this one plant - see if you can spot them. Actually there were six but one flew away just as I was snapping the shot.

1 comment:

Fawn said...

Ooooh, the chives! I love chive plants! They're so pretty, and they're so practical, too. There's nothing like some fresh chives in a salad. Let me know if yours get to wild and I'll "help" you thin them out a bit. ;)

We haven't kept any bird feeders here. We used to in Fort Liard, but I got tired of the mess. (Selfish, I know.) We got mostly grosbeaks, so it was useless to put anything but sunflower seeds in the feeder; everything else would get tossed aside. And then we'd have to rake away all the empty sunflower shells.

There's no really great place to view birds from inside our house, otherwise I'd do it just because I know Jade would be so excited to see flocks of birds visiting. Maybe someday when we redo the deck...

BTW, I for one, don't mind reading lots of gardening posts. Since I dont' have a garden to speak of this year, it's nice to see someone else's flourishing!