Friday, July 11, 2008

New Visitors to My Garden

I have some new visitors to my back yard. A few weeks back, I put up two bird houses and have been waiting patiently since then for any feathery creatures who might be flying by to discover them. There's been nothing until yesterday, when I woke up to find a whole flock of birds chowing down. It was quite entertaining, since a while later a squirrel showed up and was clearly annoyed at not being able to reach the feeders from the near-by tree. However he or she was making do with some of the seeds that had dropped to the ground and was jealously guarding them. The birds kept flying down to join the squirrel and it kept running at them to scare them away. They returned again and again only to be shooed away by the squirrel. At one point quite a loud verbal argument broke out. I had to leave before I saw the resolution, although I notice this morning that the birds are back but the squirrel isn't.

I am heartened to see that more bees are showing up in my garden too, now that the wild delphiniums and columbines are in bloom. I read somewhere that bees like blue and purple flowers the best and that certainly seems to be the case at my place.

1 comment:

Lucca ... said...

Nature can be so entertaining. I had a robin hop past my french doors the other day - a first for me as they usually stay higher, where I can't see them from the house. I do enjoy their song when I go down to the Drive. Other than that, it's only skunks and pigeons for the moment!