Friday, July 4, 2008

Oliver Schroer

I really hadn't paid attention to the music of Canadian violinist Oliver Schroer until recently, when my friend Lucca gave me a CD of music he had recorded on the Camino in Northern Spain. She gave it to me in part because I hope to make that trek myself in the next couple of years. It's beautiful music that blends his playing (mostly improvised) with the sounds of daily life along the route: church bells, chickens, birds singing, etc.

This morning I had a very strong urge to listen to that CD while doing my yoga. It was a strange feeling; no other music was going to cut it. I just had to hear that disc.

A few minutes ago, listening to CBC Radio, I learned that Oliver Schroer died yesterday of lukemia.

1 comment:

Mr. Rob Paish said...

Speaking of coincidences...I was just reading in our local paper about how important Oliver Schroer was to our popular fiddling community.
http://www.coastreporter.net/madison/WQuestion.nsf/CRentertainment/012DF4DC32ED0C95882574830013F892?OpenDocument