Monday, May 19, 2008

Gardening Puzzle

Hmmm...I wonder if someone out there can help me. My zucchini plants are starting to blossom, but there's not one female flower among them. All males. I purchased the seeds from Vesey's - they're called Summer Squash Golden Dawn III - a hybrid yellow zucchini. Upon closer inspection I noticed that my winter squash (Bush Delicata) also only has male flowers at this point. I keep pinching them off, hoping that I'll eventually get some female ones, but has anyone else had this problem before?

These plants are more than ready to be transplanted into a greenhouse, but as yet the fellow who is to build me one hasn't shown up. He was supposed to start last week but I've not see or heard from him.

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

I don't know how to get the the plants to start producing female flowers, but I know that it might be worth your while letting the male flowers develop a little more. Here's why...

This recipe is DELICIOUS!