Friday, May 23, 2008

There's Got to be a Better Way

There's been a revolt in my household. All my seedlings, destined for a new greenhouse that has failed to materialize at this point, screamed quite loudly this week that they were no longer content in their tiny pots. So over the last few days I've been transplanting them into large pots and have been lugging them outdoors each morning to harden them off, bringing them back in each night. With close to 30 tomato, cucumber, zucchini and winter squash plants, this is proving to be a rather time consuming task. I'm thinking there must be a better way and if I can find the right materials, I may turn the upper deck off the family room into a makeshift greenhouse.

I continue to try to reach the man who promised to build a proper one for me, but no luck. I understand that these guys are extremely busy at this time of year. I just wish they'd be upfront and tell me if they're too busy to take the job instead of making promises they can't realistically keep.

As far as the garden goes, I planted some potatoes tonight along with the broccoli and brussel spout plants. With the kind of fickle weather we have at this time of year, the latter really shouldn't be planted just yet, but they too were getting too big for their pots and I was too lazy to transplant them into larger 'interim' containers. I did buy some crop cover though, so in the event of frost I hope this will save my green babies. I must say - it feels so good to be gardening again.

No comments: