Monday, December 17, 2007

Blur

I guess it's to be expected so close to Christmas, but holy smokes my week-end sped by in a blur! There was a friend's birthday party to attend on Saturday night (my job was to bake the cake), Christmas shopping to do with Jamie, the tree to decorate, presents to wrap, more cookies to make, the last piano classes to teach before Christmas, and 'The Golden Compass' to take in with Jamie and Iris.

I'm almost ready....just need to do some grocery shopping and pick up a few more stocking stuffers.

There's one delimma I'm wrestling with. As unbelievable as this might be to you, my 14 year still thinks Santa is real. Unlike any other child I know, he has never asked that life altering question, "Is there a Santa Claus?" As the years have gone by, I've thought, "Surely he must have figured it out by now." But then he'll make some comment that makes me realize that he actually still believes!

This year, I thought I should take the bull by the horns, so while in the middle of my cookie making I said to him, "Jamie, do you still believe in Santa?"

He hesitated for a minute, and then said, "Well, yeah."

"Oh," I said.

"It's like God. Just because you can't prove he's real doesn't mean he doesn't exist," Jamie said.

I took a deep breath. "So, do you believe that Santa is a guy in a red suit that leaves presents for people?"

"Yeah, kind of."

I looked at him. He appeared to be in ernest. He really didn't look like he was pulling my leg. In fact he looked a bit puzzled that we were having this conversation. What should I do? He's 14 for Pete's sake, and he's not stupid. What's going on here?

I said nothing more, but I'm still thinking about the right course of action. People have said to me that he really doesn't believe in Santa...he's just keeping it alive because he thinks he'll get more presents if he pretends to believe. My gut is telling me that's not it. Jamie isn't greedy in that way. And he's the most spiritual kid I know. Sometimes I think he's not of this world.

What would you do?
By the way, I couldn't help but post this photo from Michael's Meanderings. I couldn't stop laughing when I saw this. Hope it helps to put you in the Christmas spirit!


4 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

Hi! Glad you like the pic!

It's nice to find another Yukon blogger. Have you considered having your blog listed on UrbanYukon.com? (http://urbanyukon.com/join/)

Lucca ... said...

Since you're Santa, I would have to ask whether you enjoy being Santa. If you do, and I suspect you do, then you have something really special going between you and Jamie. You might be able to keep it alive until you're an old lady. Who cares if he really believes, as long as you can have your own little Christmas club for years and enjoy the true spirit of the season, which is about giving joy? Have fun!

Janet said...

Thanks Michael for the suggestion. I've thought about it before, but have never had any real reason to move from where I am now.

Meandering Michael said...

Hi Janet,

It's not actually "moving", it's just a way to let interested readers know when you've updated your blog. Every time you add a new entry, it automatically appears on Urban Yukon.