Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Story Time

Anyone who knows me is well aware of the fact that I have a thing for children's picture books. Even though my kids have been well beyond the story book stage for quite some time, I can't seem to part with many of their books. Yes, I've whittled down the collection somewhat; for the most part I've only kept the hard cover ones with the most beautiful illustrations. But then I can't seem to stop myself from adding one or two new ones each year, just for me. And every once in a while, to my amazement and delight, Jamie will still settle down beside me and listen while I read a story out loud.

Here are this winter's purchases.

This is by the same author as 'The Story of the Root Children', which is a children's classic. In this story, Poppy (the little girl) is looking out her window when she sees that the falling snowflakes are actually little Snow Children. They take her away to the Snow Queen's wintry kingdom for an adventure.

This is the companion to 'The Tomten' - a book that all my kids loved. The tomten lives on a farm and helps all the animals and people there. In 'The Tomten and the Fox', the Tomten saves the chickens from Reynard the Fox and offers his own porridge to feed the hungry fox, keeping everyone happy.


And finally, this one, that reminds us that for everything there is a season. It tells the story of what happens one year when Winter won't wake up. The tired trees need to rest. Their fallen leaves have made a blanket for the sleeping seeds. All the woodland animals try to tell Winter their work is done and it's his turn. They try every kind of persuasion, but Winter won't wake up. Finally a ladybug whispers something gently in his ear, and that does the trick.

If you are interested in any of these books, they can be purchased here.

Now it's your turn. What are your favourite children's books?

1 comment:

Lucca ... said...

Ah! A challenge to list books! I liked the chapter books when I was a kid. One of my favourites was the third in a series of books by the British children's writer, Enid Blyton, called The Enchanted Tree. This tree was topped by clouds and if you went up through them, you came into a series of revolving lands.

Each level of the tree grew different fruits or sweets and was inhabited by different characters. I remember the illustrations were lovely. A group of young children would go up the tree and up a ladder into the lands at the top where, of course, they had adventures. The trick was to get back down again when the lands once again lined up with the ladder to get back down the tree! http://www.enidblyton.net/others/the-folk-of-the-faraway-tree.html