Thursday, June 28, 2007

Miss Yukon, Mambo Queen

Cardinal Rule Number 1: when you go to a live theatre performance, never, never, NEVER take a seat right in front of the stage. You're just asking for trouble. However, after a long day of meetings, with my brain in a bit of a fog, that's just what I did tonight as a group of us from the conference went to see When Larry Met Sally the Girl From the Bay, a musical comedy put on by Spirit of Newfoundland.

At the time I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until I had devoured my bread and was well into my salad, and the cast of the show was wandering around chatting us up and asking our names, where we were from, etc. that I thought, "Oh oh!" I had seen enough of what goes on with the Frantic Follies to know that they weren't just idly asking names and that any information shared would later become part of the show.

My fears were confirmed when, a few minutes into the performance, 'Miss Yukon' was asked to stand up and take a bow. "OK," I thought, as I sat down after my best attempt at a theatrical bow. "That was my contribution. Now I can just sit back and enjoy the show."

I giggled as a female performer sat on the lap of one of my male colleagues. I grinned as another cast member ran her fingers through the hair of a man at my table. But then, the performers started to do the mambo, and I heard, "Miss Yukon....come on up." That's how I came to be on stage, looking anything but sultry and sexy as I stumbled through some rudimentary mambo steps. Step, rock, close, pause; step, rock, close, pause. "Hold on to your men, girls. It's Miss Yukon the Mambo Queen."

Dear Lord. Or, seeing as how I'm in Newfoundland, should I say, "Jesus, Joseph and Mary!"

No comments: