Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Playing Tourist

I've just spent the last several hours wandering around the streets of St. John's. I love this place, and can understand why Newfoundlanders are perpetually homesick when they leave the Rock.

I snooped about in the Gerald Squires Art Gallery, a place that is a home as well as a gallery and has a yoga studio on the top floor. Squires is one of Newfoundland's gems. Luz, you might be interested to know that he apprenticed with Carl Pappe in Mexico. Anyway, I digress.

I then took myself off for a bite to eat at 'The Sprout'. Good food, friendly service, and a clever way of dealing with leftovers. They provide a plastic container for a fee of a dollar. Then, I can either return the container and get my loonie back, or I can bring it with me and use it the next time I come. Great idea, and one that will prompt me to take my own container when I eat out at other places too.

Next it was off to the liquor store for a bottle of wine for tonight's dinner at Ted's, and a few presents to take back home with me. A relaxing stop at the park to take in the harbour view, and back to the hotel to catch my breath before heading out again.

No comments: