Saturday, June 2, 2007

Prom Number 1

As I think I've mentioned before, Iris has two proms, since she goes to two schools (one school in the morning; the second French immersion school in the afternoon). The first of the proms is tonight.

Already today, Iris and I have purchased a necklace and earring set to go with her dress, a tiny tiara (I really had a problem with that but couldn't talk her out of it), fake fingernails, and now she's at the hairdresser getting an updo. Her dress was purchased while we were on holidays in Argentina.

I must admit that I find all this a bit hard to stomach. I know it should be a special night for the grads. But so much money is spent on proms these days - it feels almost obscene to me. There are many families here who live close to the poverty line, and I can't imagine how they cope with it all. I hate to sound like the Grinch, but I don't think it's that hard to create an elegant and memorable prom on a shoestring budget. For instance, why does the event have to be held in a convention centre? What's wrong with getting the grads, or the grade 11 students, to decorate the school gym and hold the party there? You can make any space look beautiful with a bit of creativity and a small budget for art supplies, plus some donations from local families or businesses. Why is an expensive sit-down dinner required? Why not appetizers instead?

I tried talking to a few parents on the grad committees, and I quickly realized my views were in the minority. At one school, in an attempt to prevent the kids from drinking, the prom is going all night. The grads will be bussed to the swimming pool in the middle of the night for a swim, then back to the school where there will be karaoke, salsa lessons, and finally breakfast. Is it just me, or does any of this sound just a bit over the top?

No comments: