Friday, June 22, 2007

Summer Solstice

I know that Summer Solstice is celebrated in many parts of the world, but perhaps no one marks the season more than us northern folk. The scarcity of light for several months of the year makes the abundance of it in the summer all the more precious. Here, summer solstice stretches over several days.

For me, the celebrations started yesterday when I attended an outdoor performance by LINK Dance Company. The backdrop for the event was a part of the Whitehorse Clay Cliffs at the north end of town...very majestic. The theme was 'generating energy' (our company partnered with the dance company to put on the event). It was really quite wonderful, and has changed the way I look at that part of the city, and those cliffs.

Today, from noon onwards, there are musical performances taking place all day at one of the parks in town. Alan's band Sanctuary is playing in the early evening, so Joe, Jamie and I (Iris has to work) will go see that.

The festivities will go into tomorrow as well, with the celebration of St. Jean Baptiste Day.

I love summer!!

No comments: